Friday, February 27, 2009

Binyam Mohamed coming to terms with freedom, says sister

The Daily Telegraph- He was flown back to Britain on Monday after more than four years in the controversial US military detention centre and was reunited with his sister Zuhra Mohamed,

The 30-year-old claims he was "tortured in medieval ways" with the full knowledge of British intelligence while being held on suspicion of terrorism.

Ms Mohamed said last night that she burst into tears as she hugged her Ethiopian-born brother for the first time in 10 years.

Speaking from a secret location, Ms Mohamed told BBC Radio 4's PM programme: "It was crazy. You don't expect these things to happen.

"I saw my brother, I hugged him and I cried. I could not control myself. It's hard not seeing a person for 10 years and then seeing my brother. I still can't believe he's here.

"I was overjoyed and thankful to everybody."

She said Mr Mohamed was "really thin" but otherwise healthy and mentally sharp, and had not needed hospital treatment.

The 6ft 1in detainee's weight is said to have dropped below 9st after he went on hunger strike at the start of this year.

She added: "He's happy and he's glad to be out. It hasn't sunk in yet that he's really here.

"He's just looking around. So far he's doing good actually, but he can't yet believe that he's here."

Read the rest here. You will also find a related story here.